triathlon-szene.de |  Europas aktivstes Triathlon  Forum

triathlon-szene.de | Europas aktivstes Triathlon Forum (https://www.triathlon-szene.de/forum/index.php)
-   Radsport (https://www.triathlon-szene.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Juergen Beneke - DAS Comeback des Jahres (https://www.triathlon-szene.de/forum/showthread.php?t=5774)

dude 16.10.2008 16:06

Juergen Beneke - DAS Comeback des Jahres

Die Oberdrecksau des Radsports ist zurueck. :Lachen2:

http://si6.mtb-news.de/fotos/data/500/home_bene.jpg

I've raced bikes since I was twelve years old. Starting with road and Cyclocross where I was a member of the German national team. In 1992 I discovered the mountain bike & a year later I won the first ever Downhill World Cup. It was a great time, I had sponsors that paid me enough so that I could quit my job as a toolmaker & in the next eight years won four World Cup races, finished 2nd in the World Cup in 94' & 97', won 3 German Championships, placed 2nd in the European championship 96', won a gold in the 98' winter X-Games and the Norba National Championship in 99'.
My first sponsor was Manitou, the bike didn't really work at all but it was super light so I could accelerate faster then most other racers. The second sponsor was Barracuda in 95' and it was a complete disaster. The bike was the biggest hunk of sh….ever... The third sponsor was Schwinn. Mert Lawwill was working with them and designed the straight six & straight eight which to this point were still my favorite bikes. In 97' I signed a contract with IMG, one of the biggest sports agencies in the US. They promised me out of industry sponsors and they would negotiate all my contracts for something like a 10% cut. They screwed up the deal with Schwinn and lost me my ride on a bike that I was able to win on. 1999 & 2000 on team Giant were the last two years of my professional racing career. The bike was pretty average. But I had a bigger problem with the strict rules of the team. I had no control over my schedule or what races to concentrate on. I had to do them all. My wife Stacy was not allowed to travel with me in Europe. Basically I had no fun and became very depressed, which also meant I didn't produce any results. That made me lose my ride and I was unable to get any kind of sponsorship the following year that would pay me enough to make a living. I sold all my DH bikes. That was the end.

I started working at my friends construction company for a while before I started my own remodeling business. Some of the local friends I had were really big into hare scramble races (motorcycles) so I got into it too. Joe Concra who I knew from playing ice hockey needed some help doing plasterwork on a friend's house. I am always interested in learning a new skill so agreed to pitch in. I loved it so much I started "Old World Plaster" one year later. With my desire to succeed and Joe's knowledge of plaster it is a good combination and we have done very well. In 2006 I got a phone call from the guy that owned the house were I first plastered, Tom. He is a very successful cameraman and he was shooting an Amex commercial and needed a mountain biker to jump of some rocks. He remembered Joe telling him about my former bike racing days and figured I was a good match for the job. (take that IMG) Only one problem, I didn't have a bike that would work for something like that. Thank god for Juli Furtado a racing legend herself who is working at Santa Cruz bicycles. I called her up and she sent me a bike to use the next day. When the bike arrived I took it on a little spin and was amazed on the changes in suspension in the last six year. It felt like my old schwinn but better and lighter. After the commercial was done I called Juli up again and told her "I have to get a downhill bike". The only problem was I had to pay for it. So thanks to the commercial I could afford to spend the money and Santa Cruz gave me a really good deal on it. I decided to go the World Cup in Canada without any training and finished 39th. Well I am thinking about a comeback but it will be under my terms. Never will I race for a team again, I am going to be my own team. I don't have sponsors; only friends that help me get to the races with the best equipment possible.

averna 16.10.2008 18:10

Zitat:

...I called Juli up again and told her "I have to get a downhill bike". The only problem was I had to pay for it...
:Lachanfall:

Hier ein recht aktuelles Interview von Bernd Adamski, seines zeichens Importeur von Marin Bikes.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=sBx--F-LDXw

Die haben schon damals, Anfang der 90er, viel zusammen gemacht. Damals war Adamski noch mit Delta Sports der Importeur für Marin, Manitou, White Industries, Ibis... *schwelg*

RibaldCorello 16.10.2008 20:44

who the fuck ist Beneke ?

Diesellok 16.10.2008 21:20

Zitat:

Zitat von RibaldCorello (Beitrag 143292)
who the fuck ist Beneke ?

l o o k

RibaldCorello 16.10.2008 21:31

Zitat:

Zitat von Diesellok (Beitrag 143317)

UI danke, ein wirklich interessanter Mensch !!!

Diesellok 16.10.2008 21:36

Zitat:

Zitat von RibaldCorello (Beitrag 143323)
UI danke, ein wirklich interessanter Mensch !!!

findest Du :Lachen2:

axxel 16.10.2008 22:01

Beneke schockt. Ich hab gelesen das er nicht zur DM kommen konnte weil er arbeiten musste :-)

sybenwurz 16.10.2008 23:15

Freu...:Lachen2:

Alle Zeitangaben in WEZ +2. Es ist jetzt 07:16 Uhr.